So when we first moved into our current house, we found that it had a woodstove and a large pile of unused firewood out in the shed. The landlord said to help ourselves to it and that he would help us gather more wood for the next year the following spring. Well now it that following spring! So a couple weeks ago we went out to gather firewood. We had a really stormy winter and some trees had come down on the property, so we started with those.
Here’s a pic of them running the hydraulic wood splitter. That thing was POWERFUL! There’s also a video of it right below the pic.
This didn’t keep my attention for very long so I wandered off to find some plants to look at. I took more pics than this, but between rough terrain and a dog, most of them came out blurry!
By the time I got back they’d made some great progress!
That was about half of what we got from the first tree. At this point our landlord wanted to go to the next tree and get it set up. So he turned over control of the hydraulic press to me! That was a blast. Watching it just chomp through the wood. Things were going good and I was feeling pretty cool.
And then it got stuck! The guys tried to have it chomp through a really big (and apparently tough) piece of wood. We tried everything, hit it (with numerous different things), kick it, try and run the machine through it again and again. NOTHING WORKED! Finally our landlord got back and he had the idea to saw off some of the extra. Even the chain saw had trouble with this log! It was a beast! He finally got through it and the machine was able to split it at that point. Eventually they moved on to the second tree and I went back to the house to get dinner going.
We got a really good amount of wood out of those two trees. Way more than I realized we would. And I felt pretty dang cool that we got our own heat for the winter.